This blog is updated semi-bi-weekly on a daily basis (in other words, for the most part, this is updated weekly, give or take some days here and there). Come by and leave your comments. You may subscribe to an email notification list by going down to the column below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Humble Pie for Texas Pride

Sunday I preached (a rare occurrence for Associate Pastors) on Luke 18:9-14 about being humble. I’m reminded about my own ego back in my college days, during the time when the movie Urban Cowboy was popular. At Christmas my family entertained out-of-state kinfolk who wanted to visit the famous dancehall, Gilley’s. Being the proud Texas born-and-bread hostess, I assured them we could even ride the mechanical bull there. When our large clan arrived at Gilley’s, I led the way in (of course, complete with boots and hat) and after awhile, made our way to the bull. Standing in line with my California cousins, I explained the process of riding the bull. I would of course “show ‘em how it’s done.”

My turn came and I confidently strode over to the bull. I pulled my hat down securely over my brow, put my foot in the stirrup, grasped the saddle horn, and with one athletic swoop, threw my leg up and over. I held tight and looked up at the man at the controls. I told him, “Give me a 6!” (Speeds were 1-10, with 10 being highest), and then nodded I was ready to go. He did nothing and the bull didn’t move. I asked, “Is there a problem?”

“Uh, ma’am”, he said, “… you’re on backwards.” “BACKWARDS?” All my Texas pride and youthful know-it-allness (yep, new word) disappeared as I slid off, turned around, nodded at the man and said, “Make it a 3.” Pride certainly went-eth before my fall.

D.L. Moody once said, “Be humble or you’ll stumble,” which is a reminder to “walk humbly with (our) God” (Micah 6:8).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was always taught to walk humbly with God, acknowledge my own shortcomings while honestly seeking to understand and call forth the best in others, including those who consider me an enemy.

Domino said...

It takes a lot of courage to admit to showing them "how it's done".

At least it wasn't a real bull. That would've been really embarrassing.