This blog is updated semi-bi-weekly on a daily basis (in other words, for the most part, this is updated weekly, give or take some days here and there). Come by and leave your comments. You may subscribe to an email notification list by going down to the column below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Perfect Parenting (or rather) Avoiding the Mistakes of Parenthood

(The following is a continuation of my views on msn.com’s story on “10 Big Mistakes Parents Make”.)

9) Pushing trends on kids: Okay, I confess that fashion trends are not that vital to my life. In fact, as my daughter reads this, I know she was shocked that I knew what “Jimmy Choos” are (they are shoes). But in speaking about sharing your passions, I shared my passion of music, which included that period where practicing the piano was not an option for her. But I saw her own passion and her own gift and tried my best to encourage that (yes, she is a pianist, surpassing me). Ephesians 6:4 tells fathers (and mothers too), “do not exasperate your children" even when you are correcting them, and even when you are encouraging them to use their God-given gifts. I think this verse in Ephesians is showing an expectation of parents to deal gently with their children and find ways of encouraging moral behavior and faithfulness to God, as well as encouraging them to find a passion and use those gifts for God.

Take a moment to consider your relationship with your Father in heaven, with you as His child, and then your relationship (as a parent) with your own beloved children. (Watch for the rest of this list to be updated daily.)

No comments: