This blog is updated semi-bi-weekly on a daily basis (in other words, for the most part, this is updated weekly, give or take some days here and there). Come by and leave your comments. You may subscribe to an email notification list by going down to the column below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Psalm 49, Part 2

Last week's post regarding Psalm 49, was written as a type of song. If you notice there are “verses” and “interludes”, just like in songs you would hear today. Even back then people were singing about their troubles and about how they would get past those troubles. I was reminded about the song, Bridge Over Troubled Water by Paul Simon. The lyrics plainly face the fact that there are troubles in our lives. It doesn’t say “IF you’re ever weary” but “WHEN you’re weary.” But you don’t have to travel that road along. Imagine the words coming from Jesus: “Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down.”

And that’s exactly what He did. He laid down his life for us and rose from the grave so that we could experience true joy, hope and love, on this side of life as we know it and beyond. The fact is that we all experience tragedy, anger, and hopelessness, but we don’t have to remain there. Jesus Christ is our hope and through him we find unending peace and love. So, sing and be glad. There is much to sing about.

Bridge Over Troubled Water by Paul Simon

When you’re weary, feeling small, when tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
I’m on your side when times get rough and friends just can’t be found,
Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down.

When you’re down and out, when you’re on the street, when evening falls so hard I will comfort you. I’ll take your part when darkness comes and pains is all around,
Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down.

Sail on silvergirl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine. All your dreams are on their way. See how they shine. If you need a friend I’m sailing right behind.
Like a bridge over troubled water, I will ease your mind.
Like a bridge over troubled water, I will ease your mind.

No comments: