This blog is updated semi-bi-weekly on a daily basis (in other words, for the most part, this is updated weekly, give or take some days here and there). Come by and leave your comments. You may subscribe to an email notification list by going down to the column below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Australian Fires

Australia has always been a special place in my heart. When I was a young girl my grandparents lived in Perth, Australia and “the land down under” was a magical and mystical place of wonder. For as long as I can remember I’ve loved the stories of the history and the people there, and have had it on my list of places I’d love to visit one day. Since the fall of 2008 and a number of inter-related events, God has placed that nation and her people on my heart in a new way. Aussies have been on my heart and in my prayers constantly. So I was heartbroken over the tragic news that came over the weekend.

Beginning around February 6th, there was a horrific outbreak of deliberately set wildfires that, at this moment, has more than 46 separate outbreaks, has left a wake of 750 destroyed homes and 330,000 people burned out of their communities. The current death toll stands at 181 people, and may grow to over 200 people. This is the worst disaster in Australia since the 1983 Ash Wednesday fire which killed 75 people.


Some people described the fast moving wall of flames as a fiery tsunami moving at freight train speeds. Some people simply compared it to being in hell. As one reporter described it as “hell on earth” the video showed a lone house with an orange filled backdrop of encroaching fire, which had been blue sky only 24 hours before. What terror they must have already faced and continue to face moment by moment.

I ask you to join me in prayer, to lift up the people of the state of Victoria and all the affected communities there, that they may experience God’s saving hand and witness His acts of mercy and grace. For some, it is too easy to blame God for the terrible things that happen, but I pray that God will move in such a profound way that people will go to Him, will return to Him, and will lean on Him for strength and comfort. I pray that the church there will remember God’s love for them and all people, and will share His love and compassion with every soul they meet. Pray that God will make it clear to people across the planet in how we can reach out, not only in prayer, but in other tangible ways that will support the survivors and help them rebuild their communities and their lives.

Lord have mercy.

No comments: