This blog is updated semi-bi-weekly on a daily basis (in other words, for the most part, this is updated weekly, give or take some days here and there). Come by and leave your comments. You may subscribe to an email notification list by going down to the column below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, October 26, 2009

Praying is...?

I read Shane Raynor’s blog about group prayer (You can too. Click here) and share his questions about why we miss out on the power of prayer. For me, prayer is hard to keep within a prescribed definition, just as it is hard to define having a conversation with someone.

My friend Brandye and I don’t get to see each other often, but we do talk on the phone and email each other. Sometimes our conversations are short, sometimes long, sometimes about our children, our joys, our frustrations. Sometimes we chat about serious heartfelt issues, and sometimes we yammer away about goofy things. It all depends upon the day, the emotions involved, and/or the subject matter. And, that is only one person in my life. Add to that my daughter and other friends and family, and the varied discussions multiply exponentially.

My prayer life is similar in that I don’t believe there is one way or style or occasion to pray. Everyday begins with a quiet time of talking to God and listening for His guidance. Then there are the concerns that others share with me, the little things that come up during the week, and the things that God has given me to pray passionately about each day. Each prayer is different. Sometimes quiet and still, sometimes joyful and running, sometimes deep and full of impassioned pleas. And each answer is different. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, and sometimes…. wait.

Why do I pray? I try to put this down in concise words, but they just can’t encompass what I know and feel. Think about what it is like to spend quality time with someone whom you adore and adores you. A truly loving relationship like that has you wanting to just be there with them, talking, listening or sitting in a glowing momentary silence. You come away feeling loved, strengthened, valued, encouraged, guided, and assured of the bond between you. THAT is how I experience prayer. Enough for now… off to jog, plugged into good tunes and a good God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, Valerie! I just love being in your blogs, sermons, whatever.

I completely agree about prayer. I am a member of a prayer group at my church. It is more formal, in that we have certain things we pray for, but informal, in that we can and do add personal concerns to the list.

OTOH, I say a quick prayer before my feet hit the floor. During the moment of silence that begins my day in public school, I ask the Lord to let me love my students as he does. But often, my prayers become very conversational, especially when seeking guidance.

I guess the main thing is not how you pray but to truly have faith that the Lord hears your prayer.

Love you!

mrmartinsclass said...

Nice job! Keep up the thoughtful sharing.

Domino said...

Have you ever written a love note to God?

Try it.

Prayers of adoration can be out loud or in silence, vocal or written, with others or alone.

Thanks for reminding us all about our need to communicate from the deepest part of our souls to the God who created us.