This blog is updated semi-bi-weekly on a daily basis (in other words, for the most part, this is updated weekly, give or take some days here and there). Come by and leave your comments. You may subscribe to an email notification list by going down to the column below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Blue Like Jazz

I like to read. I really do. But as of late I’ve been eyeball and elbow deep in reading a number of books, studying, and writing a number of papers for a course I’m taking. It is time consuming, but I happen to enjoy the topic and digging deep into understanding more about faith, grace, being the church… very Wesleyan. But though I like to read, I have very little time… strike that… I make very little time for reading just for fun in the midst of the stack of books on my desk. So when my daughter began telling me about her latest book, I was interested in her thoughts about it and made a mental note that I would have to read that book… someday. Time passed but someday hadn’t made it to my door, and then I discovered you could download Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller, as an audio book. Bingo! One can’t read while you drive (or rather one shouldn’t), but these days the thought of being stuck in traffic doesn’t really bother me. But regardless whether you prefer to read or listen, the book is worth your time.

I’ve read many many Christian books. I’ve bought Christian books I’ve not read yet and they sit there in the waiting line, queuing up to enlighten me or teach me something. Christian writers talk about Christ of course, so there is a certain expectation I have when I begin said books. But when I first began this book, it was so unlike the standard stories and thoughts in other books, and caused me to hit “pause” while I mulled over things he just said. Very out-of-the-box and marvelous. He explains his title by saying:

“I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. . . . I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened.”

Being a musician, I was intrigued. Miller then goes on to tell about his life and how he viewed God during different periods therein. Who is God? How do we react to God? Does ignoring God make Him go away? Does God love everyone? You have probably asked those or similar questions, and may have found yourself in an ebb and flow of faith. Miller allows the reader to join him on his journey and opens up a new perspective of what it means to have faith and live a Christian life. His themes and chapters weave his personal experiences into stories about faith and surprise you with little gems that arrive suddenly from around a corner.

I haven’t finished it yet, but I will. I’m reading, savoring, pondering, and enjoying the layer it adds to my daily devotions, scripture reading and prayer. You might just check it out…

No comments: