This blog is updated semi-bi-weekly on a daily basis (in other words, for the most part, this is updated weekly, give or take some days here and there). Come by and leave your comments. You may subscribe to an email notification list by going down to the column below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

YIKES, Ike! (Part 2)

Hurricane Ike has come and gone and we are well into the aftermath of cleaning up, restoring power and locating gas stations. There are plenty of stories about the fights at gas stations or in hardware stores selling generators to only the first 20 customers in a block-long line. But, be advised that there are other stories that show the generosity and patience of good neighbors. This is certainly a time to come together and be a community that offers help to those who need it. This is a time when the church has a huge opportunity to truly be the hands and feet of Christ. I’ve seen neighbors, who rarely speak to one another, coming out into the streets and checking on the people that usually only receive an occasional wave.

My own yard was full of very large branches and one large tree that fell into my neighbor’s pool. On Sunday morning I arrived home from out-of-town “hunkering down” and stopped just to get a quick look before going on to the church for worship. I was met by a member of our church who had already started working on removing the fallen tree. After our worship service (at the church were there was no power… no electrical power anyway…) I returned home only to find seven people in my yard, nearing the end of the huge task of clearing away every single branch. Though they are members of my church, they were never asked or expected to do this. They chose to do the dirty, sweaty, and back-breaking work of cutting, moving and piling up someone else’s mess. I’m not often speechless, but for several moments, I was on that day.

Nope, I don’t like Ike, but I appreciate the opportunities that Ike brought. Yes, there is hardship in having no power or water, but there are those gems that we find while dealing with these situations. I pray that you will find a way to support one another during this time, whether you are far away and keeping us in prayer, or are here and showing Christ’s love and patience to strangers and neighbors.

No comments: