This blog is updated semi-bi-weekly on a daily basis (in other words, for the most part, this is updated weekly, give or take some days here and there). Come by and leave your comments. You may subscribe to an email notification list by going down to the column below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, June 6, 2008

Gymanny Crickets!

For many of my adult years, I have conducted experiment after experiment of what it takes to lose and gain weight. In other words, I have gone on a number of diets and taken up various exercise programs. At times I’ve been successful, at least for a short while, and at other times exasperation sets in. (My dad’s expression is “Jimmany Crickets!”). A few weeks ago I took a stand and purchased a membership at a nearby gym, however I have not lost a single pound. I guess I’m going to have to actually get in the car and go there to get any good out of my purchase.

I think this same mentality shows itself in other areas of our lives. If you are like most Christians, you have at least one Bible in your house. You may even have several Bibles, a few Bible study books or Sunday school lessons as well. So then the question becomes “How much time during the week do you spend reading the Bible?” According to a Barna poll, 67% of born again Christians read their bible during the week. That’s not a bad percentage I guess, but it brings another question to the forefront: “What does read mean?”

Do you get points for opening it up during worship and reading along with the scripture reader? (This is certainly a good idea, but how common is that in your church?) If you read it during worship, do you check “read Bible” off of your list until the next service and put your Bible back on the shelf? Do you read for pleasure? Do you dive into its pages to discover what God would reveal to you? Do you study the lives of the saints and find examples of Godly living? Do you read and re-read about the life of Christ and listen to his call to follow him?

If I’m going to get physically healthier, I need to darken the door of my gym. If I’m going to grow in faith, I have to be in the Word daily and consume what the Bread of Life offers. At least in this growth I pray that the church of Jesus Christ will increase their desire to know God’s Word which sends us out to share his good news and expand the family of believers.

No comments: