This blog is updated semi-bi-weekly on a daily basis (in other words, for the most part, this is updated weekly, give or take some days here and there). Come by and leave your comments. You may subscribe to an email notification list by going down to the column below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, April 7, 2008

Consider the Bluebonnets

This past weekend, I ventured to Austin and witnessed one of Texas’ most beautiful sights: field after field of bluebonnets, which occasionally had just the right mix of blue, white, red and pink flowers. I even felt compelled to stop and take a few pictures before I left that area. As I drove off, “Consider the lilies” rang in my ear (Matt 6:25-34). Jesus taught that God had provided everything that the lilies needed to grow. On those Texas hillsides, God also provided everything that the bluebonnets needed to grow. Jesus’ words tell us that God values you much more than those flowers, which He carefully created and nurtured, and therefore God will provide for you in an even greater way.

God is our great provider who gives us everything we truly need. I can’t remember the last time I went a day without a meal, or had to walk to the office. My home keeps the rain outside and the perfect temperature inside. I can have hot or cold running water at a moments notice and my computer runs smooth and fast. Perhaps your own blessings include exciting vacations, your dream car, or a college education for your children. In my travels on vacation, I’ve witnessed neighborhoods where children are glad to have shoes, and the kitchen consists of a fire-heated pot on the front porch. There are those in the world who are glad to have a tiny open-air church within half a day’s walk, and happy for hard wooden benches when they arrive.

When we consider our blessings and remember that God has blessed us so we will be a blessing to others, it puts the world into a better perspective for us. As stewards of what God has given us to use, we have the opportunity to share what we have. When we tithe and give to mission trips, we enter into God’s plan for feeding, clothing and sheltering those in need. In our Christian understanding, the great joy of “having” is “giving”-giving back to God through our prayers, presence, gifts, and service. I pray that you will celebrate the God who has blessed you and respond to His love according to the Spirit’s guidance.

Enjoy the bluebonnets, smell the roses, and be faithful in worshipping and serving their creator.

No comments: